April 13 leaving SBU at 7:30 PM– Mass of the Lord’s Supper Holy Thursday
On this first day of the Triduum, join members of your CCM community as we celebrate the Mass of the Lord’s Supper at St James Church, Route 25A, in East Setauket at 8 PM. Holy Thursday not only commemorates the institution of the Eucharist and the beginning of the priesthood, but also the universal call to service that is exemplified by Jesus washing the feet of His Apostles — a call that we are challenged to embrace in our lives.
We are organizing a carpool — people who need a ride and people who can help give a ride — leaving SBU at 7:30 PM. Please email me if you would like to attend or if you can help drive CCM members in your car.
Thursday, April 20th at 8 PM –Author Gary Jansen to speak at SBU
Do you believe in angels, ghosts, or spirits? Author Gary Jansen discusses his memoir Holy Ghosts Or How a (Not So) Good Catholic Boy Became a Believer in Things That Go Bump in the Night, an extraordinary story of a Long Island household haunting that forced a respected writer to confront the truth about life, death, his childhood home and his town’s past.
Jansen is a senior editor of religion and spirituality at Crown Publishing Group and is the author of the 15-Minute Prayer Solution and The Rosary. He has appeared on A&E, Coast to Coast AM, CNN.com, and NPR.
Come hear Jansen’s story on Thursday evening, April 20th, at 8 PM at the GLS/HDV Center. This event, hosted by the Newman Club, is free and open to all in our Stony Brook community.
Friday, April 21 leaving SBU at 6:30 PM- Midnight Run!
Once again, Stony Brook CCM students will be participating in a Midnight Run, bringing food, clothing, toiletries, and, most importantly, friendship, to the homeless poor on the streets of New York City. There are several different ways to assist with this effort:
1. Donate clothing and/or purchase some new socks or underwear to be distributed to the homeless. Most requested items? Jeans, hoodies, sweatpants, t-shirts, backpacks, and sneakers. Men’s clothing only please; darker colors and larger sizes preferred.
2. Join us on Wednesday, April 19th
, beginning at 3 PM
on the fifth floor of the Melville Library, N5560, as we prepare the sandwiches and snacks, and sort and size the clothing. Sign up to help by emailing me
3. Take part in the Run. We carpool to the diocesan office in Rockville Centre where we meet the Midnight Run van. From there we load our supplies and take off for Manhattan, for an evening of service to our homeless brothers and sisters. Because this is such a popular service trip and seating is limited, participation is by “lottery system”, aka “picking names out of a hat”! If you’d like to put your name into the mix, please email me by Sunday, April 16th. Also please indicate in that email if you have a car and would be able to drive student volunteers to Rockville Centre the evening of the Run. If your name is drawn to participate in the Run, you will be notified by Tuesday, April 18th.
Saturday, April 22- leaving SBU at 5:30 PM– The End-of-Year Newman Dinner/Dance Celebration!
Don’t miss out! Our celebration will begin with 7 PM Mass at the LIU Post chapel, followed by dinner, dancing and a whole lot of fun! Anyone who has been involved in our Campus Ministry program in any way this year, through the spiritual, social or service opportunities, is invited to attend, not only those who frequent our Monday evening club meetings.
- If you attend our Sunday campus Mass, you’re invited!
- If you’ve volunteered time at our service opportunities, you’re invited!
- If you’ve participated in our evening group prayer or come for our Newman Club meetings, you’re invited!
- If you’re a Newman Alumni, you’re invited!
Everything is free — thanks to the generosity of DRVC Campus Ministry — but we need to know numbers so we can properly plan for food. Please email me
if you want to attend and/or sign up for our carpool, leaving SBU at 5:30 PM
. Drivers needed, please:)
College Volunteers Needed! Steubenville NYC on July 21-23
Each summer, Life Teen offers six conferences nationwide with the hopes of leading teens into a deeper relationship with Christ. Steubenville NYC will be held at St John’s University in Queens the weekend of July 21-23 and college volunteers are needed to help in a variety of ways.
For more information or to volunteer, click here
. Deadline for paperwork is June 10th
“Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.”